Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I just read the last comment to my last blog, and all I can say is ....WOW. I checked out her blog: all about how the service industry sucks. Like, if she weren't in a party of nine, she couldn't be irked because her order wasn't being taken and all this time was being wasted on two little people...Some people have never had to work in the service industry. I'd love to see them try it one day. Just one day. Oh, what a fantasy. That everyone would have to work in the restaurant industry or retail customer service for just one day. Or, be an administrative assistant.

Every year, I watch what used to be Secretary's Day pass by (now it's Administrative Professionals Day) without a card, without a flower, without a cake or anything for the receptionists at work. It adds greatly to the feeling of being underappreciated for what we do at work. For the past few years, I've watched cakes being brought in for "Veterinary Technicians Day". Never have the receptionists been shown such appreciation. If one of us doesn't do something right though, boy--then we all get the kick in the ass.

I know, deep down, the work we do is appreciated, but it would just be nice to be shown that once in while. All we ever hear in meetings is "the receptionists don't do this" or "the receptionists aren't doing that". I would love to just one day have all the receptionists not show up to work so everyone would finally realize how much we do do.

I guess lately, I've been feeling like I'm just wasting time in, not one, but two thankless jobs. I do the best I can at both of them and it just never seems to be enough. I'm --30-something--and I'm still living from one paycheck to another. Working 1-2 other jobs just to have something to have some fun with once in a while--and eat food that's good for me, not just filling. What the hell is wrong with me?

Other friends of mine either have well-paying jobs, houses, or are finishing college. How do they do that and I don't?

I heard something this week that has really set me off. Roger Clemens, a guy that can throw a ball well, is going to be paid 4.5 million a month to pitch for the Yankees. 4.5 MILLION a MONTH. To throw a baseball. That's like, $30,000 a day. What human being actually needs to make this kind of money? And is he going to do anything good with it? Will he be altruistic? Will he save any children in Darfur? Will he save any children here, for crying out loud? He's pitching baseballs! He's not curing cancer or AIDS for God's sake! And it's just for 5 months for sure. That's more than a lot of his fans (or non-fans, like me) make in a whole year of actually WORKING THEIR ASSES OFF! Again, like me. Shit...this country is fucked up with it's values. And they say Gay Marriage is going to ruin things.

Our Police Officers, Fire Fighters, Soldiers, Teachers...people who actually DO SOMETHING get paid Crap, and a guy that can throw a baseball gets paid $30,000 a day. Mull that over for a while.

Then...wonder why you're not getting the best possible service at Chiles.

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I don't have your email address so here is your 5 question interview:

1. So, if you could have a college degree instantly, like the information and learning electronically zapped into your brain in an instant (with a legitimate diploma), what degree would you choose and what career would you immediately have?

2. What do you miss most about Indiana?

3. What is the best thing about living in Texas? How did you end up here, anyway?

4. What is your favorite childhood memory?

5. If you owned BAH, what would you change?

BTW, I can't believe how LONG that rant was by that 2nd commenter on your last post. My God, if you have a point to make, say it; don't rehash every instance of bad service you got at every crappy chain restaurant you visited the last 5 years. Sheesh.

Dana said...

You should visit her blog--you have to wonder what is WRONG with this woman? It's truly amazing. It's all her blog is about. I think people must just see her coming, and KNOW there is no point in trying to please her!

Springs1 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.