Saturday, September 20, 2008

Guy-friends

Okay...so I just finished watching When Harry Met Sally...
for the millionth time, and it got me thinking. Are they right? Can women and men never be friends?

Can you think of any men that you're just friends with? Or guys, girls that you're just friends with? Gay friends, for obvious reasons, don't count.

I had a lot of guy-friends in high school and college. I had more guy friends than girlfriends. I started thinking, "Did they all want to have sex with me?" Yes, I knew a few of them did want to have sex with me, and yes...I did have sex with one of them, but that involved a lot of Jamaican rum and we remained friends - for a while. That's a different story.

I don't have any guy-friends now. I have acquaintances, but not friends. Not a guy that I could call in the middle of the night if I needed a guy shoulder to cry on. So it made me start wondering: have I moved past the point where my age and attractiveness - or lack thereof - have made it not worth the time for a guy to bother being friends with me? Do men only want to be friends with someone they're ultimately attracted to? Or do they want to be friends with you, but are afraid to be friends because of the underlying "sex" thing?

So...do ya'll (we are in TX) have friends that are the opposite sex, that are not gay, that are just friends?

3 comments:

ColeBugsmommy said...

I do just one though. He was my very first b-friend in Middle School. He is married and lives in CA, and I'm pretty sure not gay. :-0

Alissa said...

I have to say that I do not think that men and women can be just friends. I think one or the other always has stronger feelings than friendship.

KACattack said...

It's always a slippery slope. I think it becomes harder to maintain purely platonic guy friendships as we get older, or so I've found.
And damn that Jamaican rum, been there as well!!