Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Pets are not disposable

Sometimes, you just can't help but take work home with you and things keep you awake or wake you up in the middle of the night, such as tonight. At least it's not about something involving scheduling, employees, or the every day operations of the place tonight. Just the occasional case that comes in that my mind has trouble wrapping itself around.

I'm fortunate that in the eight years that I've worked for a veterinary hospital, I have not seen many cases of animal cruelty. I work at a somewhat pricey hospital, so most of the patients we see are of the spoiled variety. (Really, people who will spend $300 on a dental procedure for their dog or cat are not generally animal abusers; although, we do still get the occasional client that thinks Ol' Roy is quality dog food--joke: I'm not saying that people who feed their pets Ol' Roy are animal abusers) Cases where a pet has been abused usually comes when one of our clients has adopted a rescue animal or has seen a kitten tossed from a car on the highway and, risking their own lives, rescues said kitten. One of our clients adopted a dog from a rescue group that had been taken out to the gulf in a boat, tossed overboard, and left. (Apparently, they didn't want to deal with a pregnant dog.) Luckily, some nearby boaters saw the incident and were able to pull the dog into their boat.

It has always rancored me when one of our clients brings in a dog or cat that they want to take care of or have "inherited" due to the fact that someone has moved out of their house or apartment and abandoned their pets. How can someone just leave their pet? This is an animal that has formed a bond with their owner, and sometimes, I'm sure the owner has a bond with that pet, but they just leave them. I try not to pass judgement on these people, because I don't know what kind of situation they're moving into, but still...We've seen them left because a baby was born; because someone is getting married and the fiancee doesn't like the dog/cat (Hello??? Why are you marrying them? Package deal!); because they're moving somewhere that they can't take their pets to, etc. I realize, that some may think that it is better than taking them to a shelter where they may be euthanized instead of adopted. Believe me....it's not.

Today, one of our clients came in with a cat that had been abandoned by its owners. She lived in the neighboring apartment to this cat and hadn't realized the owners had moved out. If she had known that they had moved out, she would have notified management much sooner about the incessantly barking dog next door. I don't know how much time had passed, but someone finally went into the apartment. The dog, by this time, was dead.

(Just letting that sink in a little)
The people who left them, probably weren't intending to be what they thought of as "cruel". They left food out. Too bad they didn't leave the water running in the bathtub or something. The cat was very cute and sweet (a bob-tailed, dilute tortie with big green eyes). She was not in horrible condition--she was alert and active. I have never seen a cat, in my entire life, go for a bowl of water like she did when I brought one in the room. She had it almost emptied in less than 30 seconds.

I can't imagine what this cat went through, what was in her mind, as she was there day after day with her housemate as the water ran out of the toilet bowl and then watching her friend and housemate die, knowing that she would too if someone didn't come soon. Wondering where that person was that had always taken care of them--fed them, kept their water bowls filled; petted them, played with them, gave a lap or bed to lay on.

The girl that brought her in just couldn't contain her tears, thinking that she could have saved the dog, too, but didn't get management to go into the apartment next door when the dog wouldn't stop barking. It's not her fault, but she feels terrible. She wants to keep the cat, but for right now, the cat is evidence in an animal cruelty investigation and had to be surrendered to police and taken to the shelter. A doctor there will examine her. Our client will have to go through the adoption process once evidence is gathered and a judge rules on the case. I just hope the cat doesn't get a horrible upper respiratory infection at the shelter. They do the best they can there, but URIs are inevitable.

So, how can people just leave their pets? Why don't they take them to a shelter if they can't keep them, or find a rescue group that will take them in? There are hundreds of rescue groups out there! How can they just abandon them and think that it's the best they can do for them?

I don't know how many people besides my friends and co-workers read my blog, but I want them to know this: Pets are not disposable. When you get a pet, it's almost like taking care of kids, when they're puppies or kittens, to taking care of aging parents as they get older. They are a commitment and a responsibility. They require veterinary care and preventative medications. There is no such thing as a free pet. They cost money. If you get one and find you can't take care of it, please, please find a shelter or rescue group that will. Don't just abandon them. They depend on you. They love and trust you. Don't break that faith because somehow, some way, it will catch up to your soul.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your "Disbosable" article hit home. One cold November night I came home from work to find a beautiful black cat in my hall washroom. He was wrapped in a blanket, had food and water and was coughing very hard. Here is his story and the point is- when you abandon an animal,even if he/she is saved the trauma can last a lifetime.The owners of this young cat moved out of their house in my neighbourhood in August. The cat waited for them to come home from work as always, checking every car approaching. It turned out in later years that he could pick out my partner's car a block away faster than I could! He came back to the porch every night for over 2 months. The neighbours fed him outside but he had to fight for it with raccoons,foxes and coyotes. November came it was getting cold and he had started coughing. The neighbours knew that I had a multi cat household so one evening they called him to follow, walked to my house and knocked. When my partner opened the door the cat simply walked in; no decision required on our part. He lived to be 19 years old. The other cats adored him. He ruled with kindness and brilliance. He let kids dress him and he enjoyed "playing house". He made all humans think that he loved them best. He loved to sleep between us with both of us holding a front paw. But- all his life he worried if we went out; particularly together. He would sit in the drive and wait. I am told that he paced and cried when we left. If I walked to the grocery store I would see him at the edge of the property waiting for me to come back. So leaving an animal is not a simple someone will take him/her. It is a lifetime of stress that all of our love and best care could not remove. We started PETitionz.org in March to work on the recall and other pet issues.

Luna said...

Both these stories have me in tears. It just makes me so sad and angry that people continue to do this to living creatures. Of course, people still dump newborns in trashcans too. The world can be a very scary place sometimes. I've heard of people abandoning pets in apartments, but they usually just open the door and let them roam free outside. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone locking their pets inside an apartment that they have moved out. I am devastated when I think of that poor dog and cat struggling to survive, desperate to make someone hear them and save them. Dana, I share in your nightmares and sleeplessness tonight. Sometimes... I really hate people. If I can travel 2000 miles with six cats in a Honda Civic, these people can find a way to take along their own pets or be responsible and find them good homes, even if it is a shelter. All my babies are not going to understand why I'm hugging them extra tonight or why I give them so many Greenies and salmon treats, but I'll know.

Vetmommy said...

Man, that is atrocious. I think there is a special judgement waiting for those liver-bellied people who abandon their pets to such a horrible fate.

Leah said...

This just breaks my heart and I hope they owners get whats coming to them. The animal control guy said that they are still looking for the owners. They are going to start looking in the jails. He said most of the time this is where the owners of these poor creatures are. Even if they are in jail they still could have made a phone call to someone to care for these pets. I can't imagine what these poor animsls suffered.

ColeBugsmommy said...

I wondered where that cat went. I looked for it the next morning. Sadly the cruelty of people towards pets, kids, and other people never cease to amaze me.

KACattack said...

I just wrote a similar article on my blog, which led me across this one. So very well put, thanks for putting that there. I hope you don't mind that I linked to this post, if so just let me know and I'll remove it. Keep up the good fight...

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Escape Sluggish Downloads With NZB Files You Can Instantly Search Movies, Console Games, Music, Applications and Download Them @ Fast Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB Search[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again - taking you feeds also, Thanks.