Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Why We Hate Filthy Rich People

I usually ignore a lot of celebrity gossip, but something caught my eye today that just epitomizes the separation between those that have and those that have not:

It was a story about 2 celebrities, that--frankly--I've never heard of. Heidi Montag & Spencer Pratt. I have no idea who these people are, but it's quite obvious that they have too much money for their own good. It seems they had dinner somewhere with a bill that totaled $783. $720 of that bill was shots of tequila at $60/shot. SERIOUSLY???? Even the best tequila isn't worth $60/shot. I bet if you had set a half-way decent $10 shot of tequila in front of them, they wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

Their tequila of choice was Patron. It didn't say what kind of Patron, but I know that you and I can go to Spec's and buy the most expensive bottle of Patron for $483--$460 if I pay with cash. That's a 50-shot bottle. $60 a pop and I've got $3000. Maybe I should be selling this stuff on my balcony. You and I can get a really good bottle of Patron for $60 at Spec's--the Anejo is really good.

But, I digress. Their--no doubt, harried--server at this restaurant, received a whopping tip of...sixteen dollars. Yes--$16.
Now, as a former waitress, I must shout out my outrage at this affront. Even the worst server gets 10% from me, because I know what they're working for and what they're going through to get that pittance of a salary. And believe me, one has to be really bad to just get 10% from me. $16 is 2% of that bill. The bartender typically gets 5% of the bar tab. The server wasn't even tipped 5%!

So, this is why we hate filthy rich people. It's not that we're jealous of their fortunes. I know that all that money can't buy all the happiness and love in the world, and that's what is really important in life. We hate them because of the absolute wastefulness. Really? Even if you had $60, would you spend it on a shot of tequila? $720 and they could have bought almost 2 bottles of the most expensive stuff. Or maybe they could have given it to any of 12 dozen charity organizations. Or maybe they could sponsor a child in a starving country. Maybe they could FEED HAITI. You know--that place where people are making cookies out of mud just to survive!

What pees me off most about these people, is they have absolutely no clue what the actual value of a dollar is. And we just keep giving them more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

like you say, they have no idea how much good that money could do. and as an x resturant employee myself, a server would hav e to stick a fork in my eye to lose that ten percent.

unckie

Anne B said...

They are on the MTV show "The Hills." I hate the fact that I know this...